In the realm of higher education, digital education and distance learning are emerging as prominent trends for the future. In this comprehensive review of University of the People, we will delve into the crucial aspects of one of the most reputable online schools in the United States. This review will provide information on the university’s accreditation status, available scholarship options, ranking, programs, and job prospects for graduates. Furthermore, we will break down the costs associated with attending University of the People, including assessment fees and other essential expenses.
An In-depth Look at University of the People
University of the People is a well-established private distance learning institution that has gained significant popularity since its establishment in 2009. With a student population exceeding 43,700, the university attracts students from over 200 different countries, creating a diverse and vibrant learning community.
As a leading destination for individuals seeking quality education without the need to relocate to a physical campus, University of the People offers various associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, as well as certificate programs in disciplines such as business administration, health sciences, information technology, education, and computer science.
Location of University of the People
University of the People is headquartered in Pasadena, California. However, as an entirely online institution, it does not have a physical campus. Students pursuing their undergraduate or graduate degrees can complete their coursework and fulfill graduation requirements from anywhere in the world.
Accreditation of University of the People
University of the People holds accreditation from the Distance Education Accrediting Commission and the WASC Senior College and University Commission. This ensures that students who graduate from the university receive degrees recognized by prestigious organizations, making them eligible for employment in renowned establishments.
Legitimacy of University of the People
University of the People is a legitimate institution. It offers an affordable and accredited education through a flexible online learning model. The university has established partnerships with respected global organizations such as UNESCO, UNHCR, and the UN Sustainable Development Solutions Network. Additionally, it has academic collaborations with Effat University, Harvard Business School, University of Edinburgh, New York University, and McGill University, offering students the opportunity to learn from some of the most esteemed global schools.
Student Reviews of University of the People
Based on reviews from platforms such as Indeed and Rate My Professors, University of the People is highly regarded for its affordability and the flexibility of its undergraduate and graduate degree programs. Students also appreciate the quality of education and the expertise of the lecturers. However, some students express concerns about the grading system, which heavily relies on peer assessments. Plagiarism is also a subject of concern raised by a few students.
Better Business Bureau Reviews and Complaints for University of the People
The Better Business Bureau review page for University of the People currently has 28 complaints. Most of these complaints relate to refund requests and inquiries about the school’s credit transfer process.
University of the People Rankings
University of the People is widely recognized as one of the top schools for earning an online degree in the United States. According to the StuDoc World University Ranking 2020, it is among the top 10 universities in the United States and Canada.
US News & World Report Ranking for University of the People
University of the People is not listed in the US News & World Report Ranking.
Times Higher Education Ranking for University of the People
University of the People is not listed in the Times Higher Education Ranking.
Graduation Rate at University of the People
According to the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES), the graduation rate at University of the People is 23 percent. This rate is considered low, indicating that only a small percentage of enrolled students successfully complete their degree or certificate programs.
Admissions at University of the People
University of the People simplifies the admissions process by providing prospective students with personal advisors who guide them through the necessary enrollment steps. To complete the application, students must provide basic information, educational history, and pay a non-refundable $60 application fee.
For prospective undergraduate students who cannot provide credible evidence of high school education or its equivalent, University of the People offers an alternative called the Wonderlic Basic Skills Test (WBST). Additionally, non-native English-speaking applicants are required to provide proof of English proficiency.
Acceptance Rate at University of the People
According to the NCES, University of the People has an open admissions policy. This means that all applicants who meet the requirements stipulated by the university will be admitted to either undergraduate or graduate programs.
Will You Get Into University of the People?
The University of the People has a 100 percent acceptance rate, guaranteeing admission to all eligible applicants. The open admissions policy and straightforward application process make it easy for prospective students to gain admission by submitting the required documents and paying the application fee.
How to Apply to University of the People
- Complete the online application form: Start the application process by filling out the online form. Provide accurate basic information and educational history.
- Pay the non-refundable application fee: To have your application considered, you must pay a non-refundable $60 application fee.
- State any transferable credits: If you have credits from a previous program or degree, indicate them during the application process to determine how many credits you need for your chosen program.
- Apply for scholarships: University of the People offers various scholarships to students in need of financial aid. These scholarships cover a set number of assessment fees for the duration of the program.
- Submit your application: Once you have provided all the required information and applied for financial aid if necessary, sign your application digitally and submit it.
Cost of Attending University of the People
|Expense||University of the People Cost|
|University of the People Undergraduate In-State Tuition and Fees||$1,200|
|University of the People Undergraduate Out-of-State Tuition and Fees||Same as in-state|
|University of the People Graduate In-State Tuition and Fees||$2,400|
|University of the People Graduate Out-of-State Tuition and Fees||Same as in-state|
|University of the People Books and Supplies||N/A|
|University of the People On-Campus Room and Board||N/A|
|University of the People Off-Campus Room and Board||$2,001|
University of the People stands out as an affordable institution for college students. It does not charge tuition fees. Additionally, students are not required to pay for courses, books, or on-campus accommodation. The only fees associated with attending University of the People are the admission application fee and course assessment fees.
This means that students can earn an accredited degree from this top-rated American university without incurring additional expenses for their courses. Students with prior educational experience can transfer credits from their previous institution, but they will need to pay $17 per credit for credit transfer.
Cost of Living in Pasadena, California
Pasadena, California, is an expensive city to live in. The cost of living in Pasadena is approximately 66 percent higher than the national average. The high cost of accommodation, which is about 186 percent higher than the average housing cost in the United States, contributes significantly to the overall expense.
Despite the high cost of living, Pasadena offers excellent opportunities for students pursuing careers in financial services and technology, with several thriving companies in these sectors. However, due to the fully online learning format at University of the People, students can obtain a degree without the need to relocate to Pasadena, California.
Financial Aid at University of the People
University of the People provides financial aid in the form of scholarships to eligible students. However, students are not eligible for federal student loans or funding aid and are not required to complete the FAFSA form during the application process. Currently, 1,934 undergraduate students at the university receive scholarships totaling approximately $1,805,670, according to the National Center for Education Statistics.
Scholarships at University of the People
- Algorand Foundation Scholarship: This scholarship is available to University of the People students who belong to an underrepresented minority or come from developing countries.
- Fondation Hoffman Scholarship: Students pursuing an associate degree at University of the People are eligible for this scholarship, which covers 10 assessment fees during their program.
- Henry Schein Scholarship Fund: Available to students enrolled in a health science associate degree program, the Henry Schein Scholarship Fund covers 10 assessment fees.
- Simone Biles Legacy Scholarship Fund: This scholarship assists students, particularly those who have been in foster care, in paying their assessment fees to obtain their degrees from University of the People.
- HP Women’s Scholarship Fund: The HP Women’s Scholarship fund is a two-year scholarship for women pursuing any of the associate degree programs at University of the People.
Graduate Salaries and Outcomes at University of the People
University of the People graduates have achieved favorable salaries and outcomes. Many alumni have secured employment at prestigious companies such as Dell, Deloitte, Amazon, Apple, and AT&T. Additionally, a survey conducted by the university indicates that 71 percent of its students are employed full-time.
Notable Alumni from University of the People
University of the People provides a comprehensive educational experience that equips its students for various industries. Its flexible curriculum allows individuals to maintain a healthy work-life balance. One notable alumnus of University of the People is Simone Biles, the American gymnast and winner of seven Olympic medals.
University of the People Campus Life
While University of the People does not have a physical campus since it is an online institution, it fosters opportunities for students to interact. The university utilizes diverse learning tools and discussion forums to create a top-notch academic environment for students, regardless of their location.
University of the People has established 12 communities in Accra, Benghazi, Freetown, Durban, Hong Kong, Harare, Lagos, Northern Virginia, Riyadh, Shanghai, Ouagadougou, and Yaounde. These communities serve as platforms for students attending University of the People to meet in person and share their experiences.
Academics at University of the People
University of the People offers online associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees. They have three graduate degree programs in education, business administration, and computer science, as well as undergraduate majors in business administration, computer science, and health science.
With over 34,000 undergraduate and 9,600 graduate students, University of the People provides a diverse academic community. To fulfill graduation requirements for bachelor’s degrees, students are expected to complete up to 40 courses.
Colleges and Departments at University of the People
|Department Name||Available Programs|
|Department of Business Administration||Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, Master of Science in Business Administration|
|Department of Computer Science||Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, Master of Science in Computer Science|
|Department of Education||Master of Education|
|Department of Health Science||Associate of Science in Health Science, Bachelor of Science in Health Science|
Faculty at University of the People
University of the People boasts a large and diverse faculty with extensive experience in both industry and academia. Faculty members such as Dr. Marie Cini, Dr. Roxie Smith, Dr. David Harris Cohen, and Dr. Shawn Moustafa are highly recognized for their contributions to education. Students’ reviews on Rate My Professors indicate satisfaction with the quality of education provided by University of the People, with particular appreciation for the attention to detail demonstrated by professors and faculty members.
Popular Majors at University of the People
University of the People offers majors in high-demand fields, providing students with opportunities to access job prospects in top-tier companies. Here is a list of University of the People majors and the best jobs available to graduates:
Master of Science in Business Administration
The one-year Master of Science in Business Administration program at University of the People prepares individuals for executive or managerial positions in top-level companies. It covers essential topics such as finance and marketing management, organizational theory and behavior, and strategic decision-making.
Potential Jobs for Master of Science in Business Administration Graduates
- Financial Manager: Financial managers assist companies in managing their financial resources. Their responsibilities include budgeting, expenditure analysis, and financial statement preparation. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), financial managers earn a median annual salary of $131,710.
- Fundraising Manager: Fundraising managers work for non-governmental organizations, managing the process of raising and handling financial resources for various projects. They develop effective fundraising strategies and often write grant applications.
- Chief Executive Officer: Chief executive officers oversee the overall functioning of their organizations, ensuring the achievement of set targets. According to the BLS, employment for chief executive officers is projected to grow by 8 percent from 2020 to 2030.
Bachelor of Science in Computer Science
The 120-credit Bachelor of Science in Computer Science program at University of the People equips students with the necessary skills for building real-world solutions using computer architecture knowledge. The program covers programming, software engineering, data structures, and other essential concepts in computer science.
Potential Jobs for Bachelor of Science in Computer Science Graduates
- Software Developer: Software developers create applications to solve complex real-world problems. They typically work for technology companies and receive a high level of compensation. According to the BLS, software developers earn a median annual salary of $110,140.
- Information Security Analyst: Information security analysts manage their organizations’ digital infrastructure security. They conduct regular checks and updates to ensure system integrity and maintain data privacy.
- Computer Network Architect: Computer network architects design efficient data communication networks, analyzing their organization’s needs and often working with cloud infrastructure. They can be found in telecommunications companies and software startups.
Bachelor of Science in Health Science
The Bachelor’s Degree in Health Science program at University of the People prepares students for various roles in clinical and healthcare settings. The curriculum covers a wide range of topics, including human anatomy and physiology, infectious diseases, sociology, nutrition, and biostatistics. Graduates also learn essential subjects such as psychology and sociology.
Potential Jobs for Bachelor of Science in Health Science Graduates
- Cardiovascular Technologist: Cardiovascular technologists conduct tests to diagnose cardiovascular diseases. They work with medical imaging devices, using their knowledge of health science to provide accurate assessments of patients’ heart conditions.
- Occupational Therapy Assistant: Occupational therapy assistants help patients navigate the recovery and rehabilitation process. They observe patients’ progress and regularly report to occupational therapists.
- Health Information Technician: Health information technicians manage patient data in clinics or outpatient facilities. They organize and update patient information in databases and hospital management systems.
Master of Education
University of the People offers a graduate program for individuals aspiring to become teachers or educational administrators. The degree offers two specialization tracks: advanced teaching at the elementary and middle school level and advanced teaching at the secondary level. It also provides an internship option for students in Africa, China, South Asia, and the Middle East.
Potential Jobs for Master of Education Graduates
- Middle School Teacher: Middle school teachers instruct students in grades six to eight across various subjects. They prepare lesson materials, assess student performance, and conduct individual sessions when necessary.
- Postsecondary Administrator: Postsecondary administrators ensure the smooth operation of educational institutions. They oversee admissions processes and promote policies to enhance academic quality.
- Instructional Coordinator: Instructional coordinators shape educational programs, designing curricula and organizing training programs for teachers. They collaborate with educators to enhance the learning experience.
Is University of the People Worth It?
Yes, University of the People is worth it. It offers an affordable pathway to obtain a top-notch degree. With highly skilled faculty and a diverse student body, the university provides students with a rich learning experience. The flexible learning format allows students to engage with course content at their own pace.