Concerned about your child’s safety at their current school?
At our institution, we prioritize the safety and well-being of all students. If you have any concerns regarding your child’s safety, we are here to help.
- Contact a member of the school staff and they will work with you to address your concerns.
- If you believe that your child is not safe at their current school and would like to request a transfer to another school, inform your school about your decision. The school will assist you in submitting the necessary documentation, such as a written statement or police report, to the Family Welcome Center responsible for handling transfer requests. The Family Welcome Center will then follow up with you to discuss your request.
- An alternative option is to directly contact a Family Welcome Center and provide the required documentation, such as a written statement or police report, to initiate the transfer process.
If your concerns pertain to students in a District 75 program, please contact [email protected].
Dealing with discrimination, harassment, or bullying?
If your child is facing discrimination, harassment, sexual harassment, intimidation, and/or bullying at their current school, and you feel that a transfer is necessary, reach out to your school or a Family Welcome Center. They will work with you to explore transfer options and ensure the safety of your child.
It is important to note that these transfer requests must be approved and expedited.
Addressing issues of corporal punishment or verbal abuse
If your child has been a victim of corporal punishment or verbal abuse, and it is deemed unsafe for them to remain at their current school, transfer requests will be considered based on the criteria outlined in Chancellor’s Regulation A-101.
- Familiarize yourself with Chancellor’s Regulations A-101 and A-449 for more information.
Ensuring accessibility for students with medical conditions or disabilities
If you or your child has a medical condition or disability that hinders physical access to the school, you can request a medical transfer. Get in touch with a Family Welcome Center and provide documentation from your medical provider on official letterhead. This document should clearly explain the health condition and why it is recommended that a transfer be pursued. If needed, our staff may reach out to the medical provider for additional information (with your permission).
Mitigating academic or social concerns
If you have concerns regarding your child’s academic or social progress and believe that attending a different school could be beneficial, you can request a guidance transfer during the designated operating hours of the Family Welcome Center.
- Our staff may gather additional information and supporting documentation from your child’s principal before making a final decision on the transfer.
- Please note that your child’s school cannot initiate this transfer request on your behalf, so it is essential that you reach out to a Family Welcome Center directly.
Relocated within NYC?
If you have recently moved within NYC and would like your child to attend a school closer to your new home, you have the option to enroll them in a different school.
Elementary and Middle School
Use the “Find a School” tool to determine if you have a zoned school based on your home address.
- If you do have a zoned school and your child is in elementary or middle school, you can directly register them at that school during regular operating hours.
- If you do not have a zoned school or wish to explore other options, kindly reach out to a Family Welcome Center for further assistance.
Consult the Pre-Registration Checklist to ensure that you have all the necessary documentation when registering at a school or at a Family Welcome Center.
If your child is in high school, please contact a Family Welcome Center to complete the registration process.
- Prior to contacting the Family Welcome Center, utilize MySchools to compile a list of high schools and programs of interest.
- Remember to review and follow the Pre-Registration Checklist to ensure that you have all the required documentation for registration.
Requesting a transfer for a sibling attending a different school
Elementary School Only
If you would like your child to attend the same school as their sibling, you can request a sibling transfer. Siblings include half-siblings, step-siblings, and foster siblings who reside in the same household as your child. Contact a Family Welcome Center to initiate the transfer.
Overcoming childcare challenges
Elementary School Only
If the location of your child’s current school poses a hardship due to employment and/or childcare considerations, you can apply for a childcare transfer. Reach out to a Family Welcome Center and provide documentation from your employer and/or childcare provider that verifies the hardship.
Addressing travel hardships for high school students
High School Only
If your high school commute exceeds 75 minutes and/or requires more than three public transportation transfers, you can request a travel hardship transfer. Contact a Family Welcome Center and submit documentation that displays your home address.