Now greater than ever, incomes a school diploma by way of the web is a brilliant transfer. Because of this many college students, together with working professionals, contemplate attending on-line faculties, reminiscent of Walden College. It helps make getting additional schooling simpler for working professionals alright, however is Walden College an excellent college?
Walden College, a for-profit on-line college, is sweet for college kids who’re too busy for conventional courses. It provides greater than 80 on-line levels fitted to working professionals. The varsity can also be good for candidates with a GPA of three.0 and above and are sad with their SAT or ACT scores.
Learn on in case you are fascinated by going to Walden College to earn a school diploma with out leaving your property. Under are a number of the most essential issues that that you must learn about this for-profit on-line college.
Details About Walden College
Walden College was established in 1970 by Bernie Turner and Rita Turner, husband and spouse and each of whom are New York lecturers. The objective of the couple for founding the varsity was to make increased schooling extra accessible to busy adults, particularly working professionals, who wanted studying.
The primary-ever Walden College class was held in 1971 in Naples, Florida. It’s made up of summer season class college students who wanted assist with their dissertation matters in order that they might return to highschool within the fall effectively ready.
Earlier than the appearance of the web, distance studying was administered by way of mail. And when the online got here into being, Walden College was one of many few faculties that turned distance studying right into a digital kind. Nevertheless, due to the web, the varsity doesn’t provide on-campus studying as of late — its courses are supplied on-line solely.
So far, Walden College provides many on-line programs, from accounting to elementary studying and arithmetic.
Walden College Accreditation
Since 1990, Walden College has been accredited by the Larger Studying Fee (HLC). It’s simply again in 2013 when HLC reaffirmed the accredited standing of the varsity. Which means that Walden College has persistently met and even surpassed the excessive requirements set by the stated accrediting physique.
To show the authenticity and dependability of HLC, it’s considered one of six regional accrediting associations acknowledged by each the US Division of Training and the Council for Larger Training Accreditation.
Moreover the accreditation offered by HLC, Walden College additionally has specialised accreditation. Put merely, specialised accreditation is given to a level program, normally an expert one which results in certification or licensure. The next are a number of the accrediting our bodies that gave Walden College specialised accreditations:
- Council on Social Work Training (CSWE)
- Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP)
- Accreditation Council for Enterprise Colleges and Applications (ACBSP)
- Council on Training for Public Well being (CEPH)
- Fee on Collegiate Nursing Training (CCNE)
- Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Associated Academic Applications (CACREP)
Is Walden College regionally or nationally accredited?
HLC, the one which’s been giving Walden College’s accreditation since 1990, is a regional accrediting physique. This makes Walden College regionally accredited. The opposite accreditation kind, nationwide accreditation, is taken into account much less prestigious and broadly accepted than regional accreditation.
One of many nicest issues about attending a regionally accredited college, reminiscent of Walden College, is that it makes going from one studying establishment to the opposite as trouble-free as doable.
As an illustration, the credit you earned from one regionally accredited college are simply transferable to a different regionally accredited college. It doesn’t matter in case you are going from one on-line college to a different on-line college or one that gives conventional courses — what’s essential is that each faculties have regional accreditation.
Listed below are another particulars on the varsity’s accreditation standing:
- Permits entry to federal help and, typically, state monetary help, too.
- Affords confidence within the educational high quality and requirements to folks evaluating the scholars’ switch credit score from one college to the opposite.
- Gives confidence in employers when assessing the job credentials of potential staff.
- Instills assurance by way of tuition assist for candidates who’re at the moment employed however wish to pursue additional schooling on the similar time.
Is Walden College a diploma mill?
Walden College will not be a diploma mill. Additionally referred to as a level mill, a diploma mill is a phony college that sells diplomas, transcripts and levels as an alternative of an academic expertise. Then again, Walden College provides schooling to its college students, and it’s an accredited college, too.
Many individuals assume that Walden College is a diploma mill. That’s as a result of, apart from the truth that its courses are supplied on-line solely, it’s additionally a for-profit college.
Nevertheless, as talked about earlier, whereas speaking about whether or not it’s accredited or not, Walden College is an accredited college. Which means that an accrediting physique liable for its accreditation has discovered that the varsity provides legit packages and levels, and was in a position to meet or surpass excessive expectations, too.
Nevertheless, it’s essential to know that some diploma mills are additionally accredited, albeit by bogus accrediting our bodies.
Does Walden College require SAT or ACT?
Walden College doesn’t require SAT or ACT rating submission. It is likely one of the many test-optional faculties that don’t contemplate standardized checks as an efficient measurement of a pupil’s information and potential. Admissions necessities range from throughout the net packages of Walden College.
Many college students who’re sad with their SAT or ACT scores really feel pressured and anxious, figuring out that a few of their goal faculties might refuse to simply accept them.
In case you are considered one of them, you’ll be more than pleased to know that Walden College won’t ask you to submit your SAT or ACT scores along with the remainder of the admissions necessities. Additionally, the varsity has an open admissions coverage, which implies that everybody with a highschool diploma or GED certificates might apply and go to the varsity.
When making use of to Walden College on-line, an enrollment specialist is accessible to help.
To get into Walden College, a pupil might want to have a GPA of three.0. For a lot of faculties and universities, a GPA of three.0 to three.5 is sweet sufficient, particularly for many for-profit faculties. Resulting from this, many for-profit faculties, reminiscent of Walden College, have increased acceptance charges than non-profit ones.
Simply because Walden College (and lots of different for-profit faculties, too) doesn’t require its candidates to have actually excessive GPA doesn’t imply that it’s not a dependable college that gives packages employers gained’t take significantly.
In any case, it’s not solely a excessive GPA that may assist college students get accepted to the faculties they’re making use of to — there are different issues that may enhance their probabilities of getting welcomed to the varsity of their choice.
A few of them are letters of advice, private assertion, pupil targets, resume and interview efficiency.
What’s Walden College identified for?
Because it was established, Walden College has been identified for supporting working professionals who wish to pursue additional schooling. Right this moment, it’s well-known for providing high-quality on-line studying, with the vast majority of its prime packages perfect for powering the success of working professionals.
The net levels supplied by Walden College, amounting to greater than 80, span disciplines as assorted as legal justice, well being sciences, administration, schooling, human providers, counseling, psychology, nursing, public well being, public info and data know-how.
By the best way, Walden College takes pleasure in the truth that it’s the sixth college accepted by the US authorities to supply direct evaluation competency-based studying.
Launched in 2015, the varsity’s competency-based studying expertise allowed its college students to go at their very own tempo in finishing the necessities to earn their chosen faculty levels. By this, in case you are a working skilled, you should utilize your work expertise to speed up your progress.
Walden College, based mostly on the critiques of its college students, has an general rating of 4.2 stars. In response to the U.S. Information & World Report Finest Schools Rating, Walden College is quantity 182 in Public Well being, 186 in Pc Science, 261 in Social Work and 284 in Finest Public Affairs Program.
It’s not unusual for college kids to have a protracted checklist of faculties and universities to which they wish to apply. Narrowing down their checklist to a small one will help make the appliance course of much less anxious and nerve-racking.
Walden College will not be making a splash on numerous on-line faculty rating websites alright. Nevertheless, a survey by the varsity appears to say in any other case.
As an illustration, 88% of Walden College alumni say they’re prone to suggest the varsity to others. Additionally, as much as 89% of Walden College graduates say they’re pleased with their alma mater.
The survey provides that over 97% of the graduates’ employers say they’d rent one other Walden College graduate.
A complete of fifty,360 college students are at the moment enrolled at Walden College. Of these, 8,024 college students are enrolled in undergraduate packages. Then again, 42,336 are enrolled in graduate packages. The figures make it clear that almost all of Walden College college students are working professionals.
Primarily based on 2016 knowledge, Registered Nursing was the preferred bachelor’s diploma at Walden College. A complete of 1,028 of the stated diploma was awarded to graduating college students.
It’s then adopted by Common Psychology (148 levels have been awarded to graduating college students) and Common Enterprise Administration and Administration (148 levels, too, have been awarded to graduating college students that yr.
Well-known people who went to Walden College
A lot of those that attended Walden College are politicians, the vast majority of that are present and former members of the Home of Representatives. Some Walden College alumni are politicians exterior the US. Different well-known individuals who went to Walden College are researchers, actors and athletes.
As a result of Walden College is each a for-profit college and an internet studying establishment, some folks can’t assist however chorus from taking the varsity significantly. Nevertheless, figuring out that some notable folks have earned their faculty levels from it could possibly assist show that Walden College is legit in any case.
Listed below are some Walden College well-known alumni whose names might ring a bell:
- Chandra Dillard. Since 2009, Chandra Dillard has been a member of the South Carolina Home of Representatives from the twenty third District. She can also be serving because the Secretary of the Home Ethics Committee and Home Agriculture, Pure Assets & Environmental Affairs Committee as of late.
- John Antonakis. Born and raised in South Africa of Greek mother and father, John Antonakis is the present editor-in-chief of The Management Quarterly, a peer-reviewed multidisciplinary social science journal. He’s additionally an organizational habits professor on the College of Enterprise and Economics of the College of Lausanne.
- Thomas Drake. A United States Navy and United States Air Pressure veteran, Thomas Drake was a senior government of the US Nationwide Safety Company (NSA). He’s additionally a founding member of the Veteran Intelligence Professionals for Sanity (VIPS) and has a Grasp’s in Public Administration (MPA) from Walden College.
- Katie Arrington. From 2017 to 2019, Katie Arrington served within the South Carolina Home of Representatives from the 94th district. Within the basic election in 2018, she misplaced to Democratic nominee Joe Cunningham. She held a place for the Workplace of the Below Secretary of Protection for Acquisition and Sustainment in a while.
- Karen Cummings. A Guyanese politician, Karen Cummings was Guyana’s International Minister from 2019 to 2020. When she grew to become a member of the parliament again in 2014, she advocated for well being reform and gender equality. In 2016, Karen Cummings enrolled at Walden College to earn a Doctorate in Public Well being.
- Yehiel Mark Kalish. An ordained Orthodox rabbi, Yehiel Mark Kalish is at the moment a Democratic member of the Illinois Home of Representatives for the sixteenth district. The one rabbi to serve within the Illinois State Legislature, he’s the brother of Dafna Michaelson Jenet, a member of the Colorado Home of Consultant in Denver.
- Frederick Carrick. Again in 1996, Frederick Carrick earned his Ph.D. in Training from Walden College. The founding father of Carrick Institute for Graduate Research in Cape Canaveral, Florida, he’s at the moment a senior researcher on the Bedfordshire Centre for Psychological Well being Analysis, which is related to the College of Cambridge.
- Omar Palos. Since 2017, Omar Palos has been lively in present enterprise. All people is aware of him as Manuel in Falsa Identidad, an American drama TV collection that premiered on Telemundo in 2018 and commenced airing on Netflix in 2019. Omar Palos has a double diploma in Administration from Walden College.
- Thet Thet Khine. A well known businesswoman in Myanmar, Thet Thet Khine owns a number of jewelry-making firms within the nation. The Minister for Social Welfare, Reduction and Resettlement of Myanmar, her curiosity in being a politician started in 1988 when she was a pupil and a protester, too.
- Kishore Shallow. A former president of St. Vincent and the Grenadines Cricket Affiliation, Kishore Shallow is at the moment the president of Windward Islands Cricket Board of Management and vp of Cricket West Indies. Hailing from Saint Vincent, an island nation within the Caribbean, he has a doctorate from Walden College.
- Jacob Lozada. A 27-year veteran of america Military, Jacob Lozada was nominated by President George W. Bush because the Assistant Secretary of america Division of Veterans Affairs. After graduating from the College of Puerto Rico, he earned his Ph.D. in Training from Walden College.
Simply Earlier than You Apply to Walden College
An increasing number of college students select to earn their levels on-line, together with particularly working professionals who wish to additional their schooling with out quitting their present jobs and on the similar time with out placing their well being and the well being of their family members in danger.
Fortunately, there are numerous faculties working on the internet. A few of them provide on-line and on-campus courses. Nevertheless, there are additionally those who provide on-line courses solely, and Walden College is considered one of them.
Walden College is an efficient college, although some college students assume that going to it isn’t value their money and time because it’s each an internet and a for-profit college.
However since Walden College is a regionally accepted college, it can’t be denied that it’s a legit college providing legit packages and levels.
In October 2021, Federal Commerce Fee (FTC) despatched notices to 70 for-profit faculties in search of civil penalties. Whereas the discover claims that that is “NOT a sign that it has carried out something incorrect”, the FTC’s objective is to stop utilizing unlawful or misleading ways that go away college students with excessive debt and poor profession outcomes.
Walden College was on the checklist.
There are additionally the College of Phoenix, Strayer, Capella, and Devry.