Why California High Schools Don’t Offer Driver’s Education
Once upon a time, every American teenager eagerly awaited their sweet 16th birthday for one reason – the opportunity to obtain their driver’s license. The feeling of freedom, prestige, and coolness was unparalleled. However, in California, high schools no longer offer driver’s education, and it begs the question why.
Back then, getting a driver’s license was a rite of passage that excited all American teenagers. But times have changed. Nowadays, kids in California don’t share the same eagerness to drive as they did before.
Some teenagers may feel anxious or apprehensive about driving, while others simply don’t have the desire to drive yet. Additionally, many parents are opting for their teenagers to wait until they are older to navigate the dangerous roads and freeways of Orange County.
One of the primary reasons why California high schools have discontinued driver’s education programs is due to budget cuts in the state’s education system. In 1990, California pulled the funding that previously supported driver’s education, resulting in its elimination from numerous high schools.
As a result, the number of students receiving driver’s training drastically decreased. In 2007, only 440 students in seven high schools, mostly in rural areas, had access to driver’s education.
The decline in enrollment in high schools offering driver’s education may have also contributed to its discontinuation. Many students had to prioritize their academic courses to enhance their chances of college admissions, given the fierce competition.
While there may be various reasons behind the decline of driver’s education in California high schools, experts and participants overwhelmingly agree on one thing – completing a DMV-approved driver’s ed course is crucial for success on the roads, regardless of whether you obtain your license at 16 or wait until later in life.
A reputable driver’s education course equips you with the necessary tools, both on paper and in real-life scenarios, to:
- Build confidence and reduce anxiety while driving
- Develop essential defensive driving skills, maneuvers, and techniques
- Pass the DMV written and driving tests
Varsity Driving Academy: Your Trusted Driving School
At Varsity Driving Academy, we provide outstanding driver’s education and training for teenagers, adults, and international students.
Our driver’s education services include:
- Online Course – A flexible 30-hour program that allows you to learn at your own pace. It covers all the necessary information to pass the DMV written test. For a limited time, it’s available at only $18.95!
- Classroom Instruction – For students who prefer a more traditional approach to driver’s education. Limited to two sessions per summer, so secure your spot now!
- Driving Lessons – Tailored packages designed to cater to each student’s specific needs. We offer free pickup and drop off, regardless of your location in Orange County.
- DMV Package – When you’re ready for your final DMV driving test, we’re here to help. We’ll schedule the appointment, provide transportation, and you can even use our car for the test.
Our professional instructors are patient, encouraging, and committed to creating a positive learning environment. They will make you feel comfortable and at ease behind the wheel. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to call us at (949) 387-4400.