If you’re looking to learn Italian, taking an online Italian language course could be the perfect solution. These courses are structured, expert-taught resources that help you master the most important language skills and take the next big step toward fluency. With so many options available, I’ve handpicked the best online Italian courses for beginners, intermediate learners, and even advanced speakers. Whether you want to focus on vocabulary, grammar, listening, speaking, or all of the above, you’ll find a course that suits your needs.
Here are the top 41 online Italian courses for 2023:
1. The Italian Experiment: The Italian Experiment is a great resource for beginners, offering free online Italian lessons with audio. You can learn basic vocabulary, foundational phrases, and even improve your pronunciation.
2. FluentU: FluentU is a video-based learning platform that uses authentic media clips to teach Italian. Its interactive subtitles, flashcards, and quizzes make for an engaging learning experience.
3. iLUSS Italian Online: iLUSS Italian Online offers free and member-based courses developed by native speakers of the Italian language. It covers various levels of Italian lessons, from beginner to advanced.
4. FSI Italian Fast: FSI Italian Fast is a structured and fully-formed Italian course developed by the U.S. government. It focuses on getting learners to speak effectively to native Italian speakers as quickly as possible.
5. Scuola Leonardo da Vinci Online Italian Courses: Scuola Leonardo da Vinci offers online Italian courses for beginner, elementary, intermediate, and advanced students. You can choose between intensive, part-time, or individual courses based on your schedule and learning preferences.
6. Rosetta Stone Italian: Rosetta Stone is an immersive learning program that teaches Italian in an intuitive way. It uses authentic Italian audio, visual cues, and input exercises to teach the language.
7. Memrise Italian: Memrise is an addictive gamified app that drills you on Italian vocabulary and grammar concepts. It offers a wide variety of user-contributed courses targeting specific goals.
8. Duolingo Italian: Duolingo is a fun Italian learning app that builds language skills through game-like quizzes and challenges. It follows a logical learning path and offers personalized quizzes and flashcards.
9. Loecsen: Loecsen focuses on teaching basic conversational words and phrases in Italian through rapid learning. It’s ideal for travelers who want to carry on simple exchanges with locals.
10. Study Italian Language: Study Italian Language offers a beginner Italian course that teaches the basics of daily life. It covers topics such as greetings, transportation, dining, shopping, and basic communication skills.
11. Speechling Italian: Speechling is an app that uses audio and a recording feature to help you perfect your speaking skills. It offers listening and speaking practice through flashcards and mini-sessions with native speakers.
12. Mondly Italian: Mondly is an all-around Italian language course that combines immersion features with a guided structure. It teaches Italian through pictures, phrases, and conversations.
13. Rocket Italian: Rocket Italian is a complete app-based course packed with high-quality content. It offers audio lessons, grammar explanations, and interactive exercises for beginner, intermediate, and advanced learners.
14. OUINO Italian: OUINO Italian allows learners to choose their own learning path and focuses on building a strong core method. It offers lessons on grammar, vocabulary, and pronunciation, as well as various tools for practice.
15. Instant Italian from ed2go: Instant Italian is a course designed for beginners who will soon travel or live in Italy. It teaches basic greetings, pronunciation, and practical knowledge for daily life in Italy.
16. Glossika Italian: Glossika is a course in which students learn Italian vocabulary and pronunciation through repetition exercises. It uses short mini-sessions and authentic audio recorded by native speakers.
17. Infinite Italian: Infinite Italian is a game app that teaches Italian vocabulary. It uses visual learning methods and simple animations to make learning Italian engaging and fun.
18. ItalianPod101: ItalianPod101 offers podcast-style lessons for learners of all levels. It includes authentic Italian audio, vocabulary flashcards, in-depth lesson notes, and even the help of teachers.
19. Pimsleur Italian: Pimsleur Italian is an audio course that helps beginners develop their listening and speaking skills. It uses spaced repetition and digital flashcards to embed Italian words and phrases into long-term memory.
20. Michel Thomas Italian: Michel Thomas offers a relaxed, audio-based Italian course that focuses on beginner concepts. It emphasizes comfortable and stress-free learning, allowing learners to participate in exercises and conversations.
21. MosaLingua Italian App: MosaLingua is a comprehensive app that focuses on its extensive flashcard bank for Italian vocabulary. It also includes native audio, grammar bites, verb conjugation, and communication tips.
22. Italy Made Easy: Italy Made Easy offers multiple courses, including courses for beginner, intermediate, and advanced learners, as well as Italian conversation, culture, and history courses.
23. Italiano Automatico (Automatic Italian): Italiano Automatico is a video-based course centered around Italian culture and history. It teaches the language primarily through listening to and reading interesting and authentic material.
24. MIT Open Courseware: Speak Italian with Your Mouth Full: MIT offers an open course that teaches Italian through cultural lessons focused on Mediterranean cuisine. It includes video lectures, recipes, and additional resources.
25. Jumpspeak Italian: Jumpspeak connects learners with native Italian speakers for one-on-one online lessons. Learners can choose their own teacher and schedule lessons based on their goals and preferences.
26. Let’s Speak Italian! Podcast: Let’s Speak Italian! is a podcast-based course that teaches Italian for beginners. It includes conversations, explanations, and opportunities for learner participation through audio exercises.
27. LingQ Italian: LingQ Italian is an app that combines audio and reading to help learners improve their Italian skills. It offers personalized flashcards, grammar notes, and the ability to communicate with native speakers.
28. CoffeeBreak Italian: CoffeeBreak Italian is a beginner Italian course that teaches through fun conversations about daily life. It includes audio lessons, grammar explanations, and exercises.
29. Easy Italian: Easy Italian offers YouTube video courses focusing on conversations about different aspects of Italian culture. The videos are in Italian with subtitles, translations, and exercises.
30. Cyber Italian: Cyber Italian offers online courses for all levels with lessons, grammar references, and teacher support. It also offers tutored courses and one-on-one private lessons.
31. “Italian Language and Culture: Beginner” from edX: This course taught by Wellesley College and MIT teaches the basics of the Italian language and culture using various media, including video, podcasts, and textbooks.
32. Udemy: Udemy offers a variety of Italian courses taught by experts. They cover different aspects of the Italian language, from beginner to advanced levels.
33. Ecampus at Oregon State University: Ecampus offers online Italian courses for college credit. Learners can take remote language classes from the comfort of their homes and receive a solid grounding in the Italian language.
34. Europass Italian Language School: Europass offers online courses and assessments for learners who can’t physically be in Italy. They also offer preparation for standardized Italian language exams.
35. Babbel Italian Language Course: Babbel offers comprehensive Italian courses that cover vocabulary, grammar, speaking, and listening. Its interactive exercises and personalized lessons make learning Italian engaging and effective.
36. Language Transfer: Language Transfer is an unstructured method for language learning that emphasizes listening and conversation. Lessons include conversations with native speakers and encourage learners to think and respond in Italian.
37. Online Italian Club: Online Italian Club offers six levels of Italian lessons for vocabulary and grammar practice. It covers beginner to advanced levels and includes audio, transcripts, exercises, and proficiency tests.
38. Italian Virtual School: Italian Virtual School provides online courses for Italian language learners of all levels. Its courses are designed to prepare learners for standardized Italian language exams.
39. One World Italiano: One World Italiano offers video-based lessons with grammar exercises. Its videos cover specific topics in the Italian language and include translations, grammar notes, and exercises.
40. BBC Languages Italian: BBC Languages offers an online interactive course for beginning Italian learners. It includes audio clips, vocabulary-building materials, grammar explanations, and games.
41. Busuu: Busuu connects learners with native Italian speakers for writing and speaking feedback. Its well-structured lessons and interactive exercises help learners improve their Italian skills.
With these top 41 online Italian courses, you’ll have everything you need to learn Italian at your own pace and convenience. So, pick the course that suits your learning style and start your Italian language journey today!